ADSM-L

Re: Domino log rollforward recovery

2005-11-11 11:36:14
Subject: Re: Domino log rollforward recovery
From: Eduardo Esteban <eesteban AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:36:25 -0800
If you have an alternate Domino server or partition available, you should
use the alternate restore procedures described in Appendix A of the
User's Guide under "Advance restore procedures",
If you don't have an alternate server or partition to perform restores,
you should set the notes.ini variable 'TRANSLOG_ALTERNATE_PATH'.
When you specified an alternate path on separate disk, the Domino
server access to the restored logs does not contend with access to the
active
log. If the slow processing was the result of slow disk access,  you
should see
an improvement in the time it gets to restore and a process.
the logs.

Eduardo

Steven Harris <steve AT stevenharris DOT info>
11/10/2005 09:27 PM
Please respond to
steve

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Domino log rollforward recovery

Hi all

I'm running Domino 654 on AIX 5.2 backing up using shared memory to TSM
5.3.1.4.
Domino Client is 5.1.5.1.  Backend is a 3584 with 6xLTO2 drives.

We've been cutting over our email users from their old product and so
email volumes have
increased dramatically.

Currently we run a selective once per week, incrementals daily (about 5%
of databases get
compressed on any given day) and archivelog backups every four hours.  Our
busiest domino
instance produced over 2600 x 64MB transaction logs last week.

Now, when we had to do some serious roll forward recoveries a while back,
it took about 2 to
3 minutes per log to do the restore and roll forward.  Thus we are looking
at a worst case of
something like 18 hours to roll forward a full day's logs for 1 database,
or a bit over 5 days
for a week's work.

So, yes, we will have to to selectives more frequently, probably half of
the farm every night,
but we also need to speed up the log apply process.  I'm  thinking that
increasing  the size of
the domino transaction logs will probably help with this, and I've got my
Domino admins
researching their end, but would appreciate input from users on this list.

Thanks

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Currently in Sydney, Soon back in Brisbane, Australia