ADSM-L

Re: AW: Can TSM use LDAP for admin authentication?

2005-11-10 07:00:05
Subject: Re: AW: Can TSM use LDAP for admin authentication?
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:59:43 +0100
Hi

In a case where you use LDAP for security authentication, even IF the LDAP
server was destroyed, you would still be able to access the TSM server
either through server console or by using a locally registred admin (what
is to say that if you use LDAP, you cannot use the normal admin accounts
within TSM?).

The use of LDAP authentication would be a very neat feature. Imagine you
could handle backup/restore authentication and admin authentication from
the same repository you handle all other security authentications. That
would make the security management a whole lot easier, especially in
larger sites where you might have different departments handling
backup/restore/administration of different servers / groups of servers.

I'm aware the above is still technically possible today, but imagine
handling 50-60 user accounts(not node admin accounts, but user accounts)
in the way TSM does . Just cause you're a storage administrator it doesnt
mean you'd like to become a user administrator aswell ;)

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Utvecklingschef
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
2005-11-09 15:21
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
AW: Can TSM use LDAP for admin authentication?

Hi!

Assuming you will NOT backup your LDAP Servers with TSM wait for this
support, it is not available yet.

Assuming you WILL  backup your LDAP Servers with TSM this is a bad idea:
backups are fo restore: how can you restore a malfunctioning LDAP when you
cannot log-in because of maflunctioning LDAP?

regards
Juraj