ADSM-L

Re: Platform change to Windows?

2005-11-09 16:10:45
Subject: Re: Platform change to Windows?
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:09:58 -0700
        I'll second Mark's observations.

        I'm the primary sysadmin over the whole backup infrastructure at
our company. We have TSM running on various platforms depending on the
location and the volume of data. Currently we have 15 servers in total,
with some AIX/pSeries, Windows/Intel & Solaris/Sun. I won't go into
detail, as Mark described the limitations we have also encountered.

        For us, the Window/Intel is good for the smaller sales offices,
where volume is low, the number of clients is <50, and the
administration of a *nix host is unavailable. The Solaris/Sun
combination seems to work well in our mid-range sites, such as design
centers, but that solution was put in primarily because of the staff at
those sites were ~only~ familiar with Solaris. At our largest locations,
corporate offices & manufacturing sites, the AIX/pSeries is our
workhorse. We have 6 TSM servers at our corporate site that each process
about 3TB of data a day, with most of that happening in the 14 hour
backup window (when we ~prefer the backups to happen if at all
possible).

        The AIX/pSeries combination just seems to be able to handle a
higher and heavier I/O load than any of the other combinations we have
in production. I'm not sure if the OS or the hardware deserves more of
the credit. Perhaps it's because TSM/AIX/pSeries all come from the same
vendor so they seem to be integrated better. I'm not saying that IBM is
a perfect company, but it sure is nice to open 1 case for TSM server
performance problems and get very little finger pointing (a situation we
often encounter when opening up cases with our Sun and Windows TSM
servers.)

Just my 2-cents,
Ben