ADSM-L

Re: Database backup tapes taking over

2005-11-09 13:27:20
Subject: Re: Database backup tapes taking over
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:27:01 -0600
Dennis,

I think that what you need to do s setup DRM correctly.  You are doing
what is considered best practice by keeping DBB backups on site and
sending DBS backups off site.  However by default all of DRM is set up
to use/manage DBB and not DBS type backups of the database.  Therefore
you must make sure that on all of you DRM commands that you specify
"Source=DBS", in particular you need to do that on the "prepare" command
to get it to expire the DBS volumes based on the value "DB Backup Series
Expiration Days" as reported  when you do a "q drmst".  To set this
value use the "SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" command.  Keep in mind this
value should coincide with your reuse delay value for your copy pools.
Once you have set these values and start running your DRM commands (both
prepare and move drm commands) using the "Source=DBS" attribute your
offsite DBS volumes will start coming home correctly.

In regards to your DBB backups, you should continue to manage/expire
those using the "del volh" command.

I hope that will clarify things for you.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Dennis Melburn W IT743 wrote:

I have noticed that ever since I started using the DRM, alot of my TSM
servers have been steadily decreasing in scratch tapes by alot.  My
servers are scheduled to run a Full Database backup once per day, with a
a Database Snapshot once per week.  The full database copies stay on
site, while the snapshot gets sent off site weekly.  I have the database
expire variable in the DRM set to 14 days.  The question I have is why
do all my sites have like 40-60 database tapes, when there should only
be 14.  Am I doing something wrong?

Mel Dennis