ADSM-L

Client no longer will back up

2005-11-09 12:06:03
Subject: Client no longer will back up
From: Bob Kenyon <Bob.Kenyon AT QUINTILES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:50:13 -0500
We have TSM server version 5.3 running on a Windows 2003 server.   We also
have a TSM client version 5.3 running on a Windows 2003 server that is
being backed up to the TSM server.   This process has worked fine up until
Monday.   Here's what happened on Monday.:

The schedule prompter contacted the client and the client begin a session.
  We noticed that the backup was taking longer than normal so we began to
investigate why.   Turns out someone had copied a software distribution
folder to the client, something that normally does not get backed up.   It
was decided to delete the software distribution folder before the files
were backed up.   Shortly after the files were deleted, the session ended
between the client and server.

The normal schedule began the next evening and the client session was
established.   The client however never started the backup and timed out
after an hour.   We can't get even get a one time incremental backup to
work.   We have even tried to do a backup from the gui, but same issue.
There isn't any error message in the dsmerror.log file on the client that
would indicated any problem.   Also have rebooted both servers, and still
same issue.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks.

Bob Kenyon
Quintiles Transnational
bob.kenyon AT quintiles DOT com
+1 919 998-1501 office
+1 919 638-1359 cell
****************IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ*******************
This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL
and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included
in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies
thereof. If this electronic message contains a zipped attachment and you do
not have a decompression tool, you may download unZIP (free of cost) from:
http://www.mk-net-work.com/us/uz/unzip.htm. Alternatively, you may request
that the attachment be resent in an uncompressed format.        Thank you.