ADSM-L

Re: Backup of a NAS Device - which options do I have?

2005-11-04 11:51:54
Subject: Re: Backup of a NAS Device - which options do I have?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:51:41 -0500
The non-NDMP way:
You can use the TSm client on a different server to back up the logical
NAS drives.
You can map the NAS logical drives to the host you want to do the
backup, and put the drive letter in the DOMAIN statement.
Or you can use UNC names in the DOMAIN statement.

It works, but it's not terribly fast - the data is read across the
network to the host, and there is overhead in that protocol that you
don't get if you are backing up a local hard drive.

If your change rate on the NAS is low, it will work just fine for
backup.
The consideration is what are your RESTORE requirements for the NAS -
restores are slower, as well.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)