ADSM-L

Does subfile backup reduce tape occupancy?

2005-11-04 09:55:10
Subject: Does subfile backup reduce tape occupancy?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:54:35 -0600
Like lots of users, our tape libraries are overloaded and we're looking
for ways to reduce what we're keeping before spending money on new
equipment.

Server: TSM 5.1.10 on AIX 5.2
Clients: mostly TSM 5.1.7 on Windows XP/200x.
Storage: mix of disk, 3570, and LTO
Most filesystems are configured to maintain three versions.

If I have a server whose current occupancy is 1000 GB, and I turn on
subfile backups with the same number of versions, will the actual
occupancy go down?  Or will it remain the same?

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.