ADSM-L

Re: Error accessing 7212 tape library within TSM

2005-10-31 11:06:49
Subject: Re: Error accessing 7212 tape library within TSM
From: James Choate <jchoate AT SOURCE1INC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:10:03 -0700
Lsdev -Cc tape shows defined.

I will press on with the hardware side.

Thanks for your help.

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Stapleton, Mark
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:39 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
James Choate
>I have a small TSM server using a 7212-312 vxa tape library.  The
>library has one tape drive and 10 slots.  I am currently getting the
>following errors trying to communicate with the tape library and can
>not for the life of me figure out the problem.  I currently have a PMR
>open with hardware support, and a PRM with TSM.  Hardware is saying
>it's a TSM problem, TSM support is saying it's a hardware problem.  I
>haven't been able to do backups for a week.  Any guidance is
>appreciated.
>I've opened a PMR with IBM.  The CE came out and said the hardware is
>fine, but TSM cannot communicate with it.  TSM support says we needed
>to upgrade to TSM 5.2.6.3.  We were at TSM 5.2.4.5.

What does

  lsdev -Cc tape

show? If the library shows defined but not available, then it's a
hardware or OS error. If it shows available, then we press on.

The TSM compatible device list
(http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Suppor
ted_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html) shows both 5.2.4.5 and 5.3.1.2 as
required TSM levels. You might want to ask Tivoli support what that is
about.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional  Tivoli Storage
Management Solutions 2005 IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE)
AIX Berbee Information Networks Office 262.521.5627