ADSM-L

Re: How big of a TSM DB is too big?

2005-10-26 14:08:32
Subject: Re: How big of a TSM DB is too big?
From: "Bos, Karel" <Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:08:18 +0200
I know .... ;->

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Paul Zarnowski
Sent: woensdag 26 oktober 2005 20:02
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Karel,

We have been waiting for online audits and defrags for a long time.
Yes, they will be nice if and when they are available.  I agree with
your other points about what "should be".  However, my recommendation is
based on hard-won experience.  When expiration starts taking longer and
longer, you can get into a negative-feedback loop and your database size
can balloon, restore performance can suffer, and all the other
implications of running a large database.  If you're going to go large,
keep a sharp eye on your expiration performance.  If you see it starting
to take longer and longer, be prepared to act.  When we saw this, it
fell off quickly, and we weren't watching for it, and consequently went
through a challenging period.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Systems                  Fx: 607-255-8521