ADSM-L

Re: Audit Vol not working

2005-10-25 09:49:58
Subject: Re: Audit Vol not working
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:25:45 -0400
On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:11 PM, Bell, Charles (Chip) wrote:

...10/24/05   16:36:57  ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume
A00328
in drive 3580_5 (/dev/rmt3). (SESSION: 117836, PROCESS: 1806)

Charles - See our accumulated wisdom on that message in
          http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts or the Wiki.

If there are other "chefs in your kitchen", then it may well be that
the tape was rudely used for another purpose. I would dump the first
few blocks of that volume, using your favorite sequential media
displayer, and do the same on another storage pool volume known to be
good, and compare. I expect that the volume labels will be missing on
the problem tape, as in having been overwritten...which implies
overwriting of much of the rest of the tape as well. The cure is to
perform a Restore Volume from your copy storage pool. And, of course,
correct the organizational situation which precipitated the problem.

   Richard Sims