ADSM-L

Re: Slow restoratoins when large backups are happening?

2005-10-24 15:58:27
Subject: Re: Slow restoratoins when large backups are happening?
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:58:09 -0400
> There's also performance internal to the tsm server to consider.
> The large server backups could be monopolizing your network
> throughput, scsi card throughput, pci/pci-x bus throughput, or some
> combination of all the above.

System performance monitoring shows hardly any network I/O during this
situation.
After all there is incremental backups running, it's not backing up much.
On the restorations, it was 10,000 files for 8 GB.  again not much.

One issue I have seen is high i/o wait on the TSM database volume, which
is why I know I have a database I/O issue, but, cancelling the larger
backups should not cause the restoration to suddenly jump from sending a
few hundred mb per hour to a gig every 5 minutes.  Which is why I think
it's an internal TSM issue and not a hardware performance issue.  But
maybe it is. I Just need more input into what to look for.

Matt Glanville