ADSM-L

Re: TSM Performance with 3584 LTO-2 Drives

2005-10-20 17:55:08
Subject: Re: TSM Performance with 3584 LTO-2 Drives
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:07:02 -0500
First I would change your server options to these (the max values have
increased in more recent TSM versions):
movebatchsize 1000
movesizethresh 2048

Also, are you using a file devclass or a regular diskpool on the SATA
drives?  Is it raw space or JFS or JFS2?

Earlier today someone sent out a link to the Top 10 TSM performance tips
document.  The second half of that pdf is about finding performance
bottlenecks in your TSM environment.  I suggest you check that out and run
the instrumentation traces on the server during the migration and then tell
us where the bottleneck is - should help narrow it down to disk or tape.
There are examples in the presentation and one even talks about slow
migration problems.

______________________________
John Monahan
Senior Consultant Enterprise Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109
Cell: 952-221-6938
http://www.computechresources.com

             Chet Osborn
             <osborn AT RPI DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: TSM Performance with 3584 LTO-2
                                       Drives
             10/20/2005 04:18
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Thanks for the replies, but no luck yet.

The data being migrated all belonged to a single node, and only two
tape mounts were involved.

The drive firmware is up to date. I'll be damned if I can figure out
how to determine what the 3584 library firmware level is or how to
download it. The device driver (Atape) software is up to data as of a
month o\r so ago.

I've double-checked the zoning, and everything seems  as it should be
(server and disk in one zone and server and tape drives in another zone).

At 02:23 PM 10/20/2005, you wrote:
>Another factor to consider: does the tape pool in question have
>collocation turned on?  If so, then depending on the number of tapes in
>the pool, the type of collocation in effect and the number of client nodes
>or filespaces to be migrated, there could be a very large number of tape
>mounts occurring.  With only two drives, and depending on the mount
>retention period specified on the device class, I could believe that an
>awful lot of that 10.5 hours might've been spent fiddling around with tape
>mounts, idle drives, etc., and not actually writing data.
>
>Regards,
>Bill
>
>Bill Kelly
>Auburn University OIT
>334-844-9917
>
> > It also wouldn't hurt to verify that your library and drive code
> > (firmware) are up-to-date.

Of