ADSM-L

Re: disk layout for db and log

2005-10-19 09:33:28
Subject: Re: disk layout for db and log
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:33:06 +0200
Jim,

Are you going to mirror at the hardware, OS, or application level?

I'm going to mirror at the application (TSM) level.

Spread the logical volumes across multiple disks at least two. The
database, logs, and storage pool volume need to run on their own disks.

The stgpool volumes are located in our SAN. If the database and log
volumes go on separate disks, I would only have two disks for the db and
one for the small recovery log (which are mirrored to the other three
disks).
I think it could be possible to have on disk with db AND log volumes on
it and the other two disks with only db volumes. Or will this layout
degrade performance too much?
--
Best wishes,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470