ADSM-L

expiration Oracle backups

2005-10-13 09:23:54
Subject: expiration Oracle backups
From: Kurt Beyers <Kurt.Beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:19:53 +0200
Hello,

My environment is the following:

TSM 5.3.2 server on Windows2003
Sun Solaris 5.8 with Oracle 8.1.7.4 with a TSM BA client 5.3.x and the TDP for
databases 5.3

The backup of the Oracle databases is already working. The metadata of the
backups is written in the control files of the Oracle database.

The backups are bound to a mgmt class with the correct settings (as every
object receives a unique name in TSM).

The expiration must first be done in Oracle with a script, eg expire the
backups older than X days. Could anybody share a working script? I'm still
struggling to get it working as it should.

But how are the backups made inactive in the TSM database after they have been
deleted in Oracle? The 'tdposync' tool only works when the metadata is stored
in a recovery catalog database. And after a forced deletion of the backups in
RMAN, they do not become inactive in TSM either. How can the metadata in the
TSM database be synchronized with the metadata in Oracle (control file) .

I know this must have been discussed in the past already, but a search of the
old threads didn't  clear it out yet.

thanks a lot,
Kurt