ADSM-L

[no subject]

2005-10-12 20:58:57
From: Cameron Ambrose <cameron_ambrose AT ENTERPRISESERVICES.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:44:31 +1000
Tim,

      Thanks for the feedback. We also have two other Netware servers which
complete their backups within the backup window. The three are identical
except for the Volume/Data sizes. The offending server is considerably
larger than the other two in terms of data volume. Like you these other two
were recieving the "Terminating Session" errors until we changed the
COMMtimeout value.
       But we're still experienceing slow backups on the offending server.
The client seem's to spend 95% of it's time scaning the FS. I didn't think
scaning the FS would be affected by network performance, except for the
initial interrogation of the TSM Server DB for the client specific FS
info??? Does anyone know how the FS scaning component works for a client?

Regards Cameron

             Timothy Hughes
             <Timothy.Hughes@O
             IT.STATE.NJ.US>                                            To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>

             07/10/2005 10:58
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Cameron,

I am experiencing extreme slowness for a Tivoli backup
on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server.

TSM Client 5.2.2
TSM  Server  5.3.1.4

We tried Swapping Tivoli patch cables and it did not make a difference.

Also tuning options in the dsm.opt file has not made a difference.

We are getting the following message also

ANR0482W Session 77993 for node DOCUSRS (NetWare)
                     terminated - idle for more than 180 minutes.
(SESSION:77993)

But there are backups that gets the above message also and they all finish
at a normal time. Also we have 5 other Novell Clients with the same dsm.opt
and client version and they complete at successfully at a normal time.
it is just this one backup that is extremely slow.