ADSM-L

TSM for ERP (SAP) - split mirror with EMC equipment?

2005-10-07 14:33:40
Subject: TSM for ERP (SAP) - split mirror with EMC equipment?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:32:18 -0400
We currently use Omniback to backup our SAP environment.  The
environment consists of Oracle, HPUX servers and EMC DMX/SYMM disk
systems.

The smaller test/development SAP instances are standard lan based backups,
both hot and cold.

The large production systems use split-mirror backups.  We SRDF the data
to a 2nd site (dr copy), where we backup off of a BCV.  In EMC terms, this
looks
like:  R1 -> srdf -> R2/BCV, with backups taken from the BCV at the 2nd
site.

I have been asked (quickly!!!!) to determine what it would require to
switch to TSM.

I know about TSM for ERP/SAP/Oracle.  It references TSM for Hardware for
split-mirror with IBM
disk subsystems.  Together this  looks similar to the integration we use
with
Omniback.   What I DON'T find is any split-mirror support for EMC, and I
know
this isn't supported.

Question:  Is it possible to use TSM for ERP/SAP/Oracle with split-mirror
backups
with EMC disk systems if we code scripts to perform the
split/import/mount/deport/re-sync
stuff ourselves?  In other words, does TSM for ERP provide hooks for our
own scripts
to support split-mirror with non-IBM disk systems?

Thanks

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.