ADSM-L

Forcing certain nodes to use selective tape drives?

2005-10-07 05:06:17
Subject: Forcing certain nodes to use selective tape drives?
From: Neil Sharp <neil AT DYADIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:05:53 +0100
Can anybody help with the following problem?

I have a customer that currently has a 3584 tape library with 4 SCSI LTO1
tape drives configured to a AIX TSM 5.1.9 server. They have asked me to
add an additional 4 LTO2 SAN attached drives to the same TSM server /
library configuration. So in essence the one TSM server will now have 8
drives.

The question that I need to answer is this. Is it possible within the one
TSM server to control which client backs up to which drive? The reason
that I am asking this is that the customer wants to split their production
backups to go to the new SAN drives, and their development backups to go
to the SCSI drives.

My thoughts are that this is not possible from the one TSM server as TSM
will pick a drive at random if all 8 drives are configured within the same
library. I believe that the only way that this would be possible is to
configure two TSM servers to share the same physical library (once it has
been partitioned). Each TSM server will then be configured with a library
a piece, each accessing 4 drives. Backup nodes can then be assigned to the
relevant TSM server.

Your comments / experience would be very much appreciated.

Regards