ADSM-L

Re: Missing tape in TSM 5.2

2005-10-03 07:15:04
Subject: Re: Missing tape in TSM 5.2
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 07:14:20 -0400
On Oct 3, 2005, at 12:22 AM, Paul Dudley wrote:

Subject: "Missing" tape in TSM 5.2

Running TSM 5.2, I have a tape that is not defined in a storage
pool yet
I cannot check it in with a status of scratch.

If I check it in with a status of private I then cannot do anything
with
it.

When I run the "q volhist type=all" command it shows up as a volume
type
STGDELETE.

How can I get it back to a "useful state"?

Begin with the basics:

- Review your historic Activity Log to see what happened with that tape,
  before taking any action on it (look before leap).
- Perform library queries to see if the tape is actually in the library:
  software operations will fail if the tape was rudely removed from the
  library by an operator.  It could be that the tape is stuck in a
drive.
- If no problems seen above, do Query LIBVolume to see if TSM belives
  the tape is in the library, and Query MEDia to see if someone played
  with the volume via MOVe MEDia.

     Richard Sims