ADSM-L

Need tool to give evidence that "repair stgvol" command is pinning the log

2005-09-09 09:45:24
Subject: Need tool to give evidence that "repair stgvol" command is pinning the log
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:45:14 +0200
Hi all,

Some weeks ago our TSM server (5.3.1.4 on AIX) had problems while
performing reclamation, and began issuing lots of "ANR0102E
asalloc.c(XXX): Error 1 inserting row in table AS.Segments" messages. I
consequently opened a PMR, and got the advice to perform a "repair
stgvol" command against the volume being reclamed, which solved the
problem.

However, on the same day, a new problem appeared : TSM's log began
growing endlessly, although I had a database trigger defined at 50 %,
which started to chain up Dbbackups, each of them resulting in a message
in the activity log looking like "ANR4556W Attention: the database
backup operation did not free sufficient recovery log space to lower
utilization below the database backup trigger....". I had no other mean
than restarting the server to get the log freed again ...

Yesterday, same problem happened and I'm now 99,99% sure that this
"repair stgvol" is guilty. However, before reporting this to IBM, I
would like to have the certainty that my assertion is right. Does anyone
know some command that would show which process is pinning the log ?
Thanks in advance !
Regards.

Arnaud