ADSM-L

Re: Multiple fillings per node with collocate is group

2005-09-08 08:13:38
Subject: Re: Multiple fillings per node with collocate is group
From: Maurice van 't Loo <tsm AT COMPARECOMPUTERS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:13:17 +0200
From: "Andrew Raibeck" <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>

> What is the storage pool's COLLOCATE value set to?
Collocate = Group

From: "Thorneycroft, Doug" <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>

>Are there also backups running during this period, If the diskpool doesn't
>have enough space, or a client has files that exceed the diskpools
>maxsize then some of your backups could be using the extra tapes.

Backups are running during the whole day, also during migration. And we
migrate (automaticly) during backup.
There is enough space, hi=50%, lo=10%, size=2400GB, we don't get above the
80% during the top backups.
There is no maxsize threshold defined.

From: "Volker Maibaum" <volker.maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>

> I don't think that TSM uses only 1 tape per collocgroup when you have
> set maxpr=3. What if only data of one collocgroup is on the diskpool?
> TSM would waste resources.
> If you turn collocation=none for the tape pool than TSM also uses three
> tapes at a time.

The doc's said that when a migrate starts, it selects a node or group to
migrate (with biggest FS or biggest node in case of colloc.groups) and does
the migration in 1 stream, so it "must" always use 1 tape at the time. (see
page 259 in 5.3 Admin Guide)

---