ADSM-L

Re: 5.1.9 to 5.3.1 migrate install

2005-08-31 14:04:37
Subject: Re: 5.1.9 to 5.3.1 migrate install
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:03:47 -0400
We  also just did a 5.1 to 5.3 upgrade.

Be sure to read the README file with v5.3 release.  Pay special attention
to the instructions for cleaning up system objects before upgrading.

Rick

                      Ruth Mitchell
                      <mitchell AT TC DOT CORN        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ELL.EDU>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: 5.1.9 to 5.3.1
migrate install
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/31/2005 01:16
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Alex,
I did a very similar installation yesterday, version 5.1.10 to 5.3.1.4
on W2K SP4
(ADIC S10K SCSI library with LTO1 drives).

It went very well. I also used the TSM 5.3 Installation Guide as well as
supplementary notes from the Support Technical Exchange (STE) webcast,
'Upgrading to TSM v5.3' (from Aug 3, 2005, the audio portion is
available for
download), and the 'TSM server upgrade best practices' technote. Sorry I
don't
have these URLs immediately handy.

The database backup is only for recovery purposes. You won't need
it for the installation. (It's a good idea to run a  full db backup
before
any major work on your server.)  After the installation, when your
server starts,
the database will be upgraded automatically, at least this was my
experience.
This took less than 20 minutes.

I was originally running 5.1.7, so first upgraded to 5.1.10 which
allowed me to run a more
recent version of the 'cleanup backupgroups' utility. (This was
recommended
in the webcast). We hadn't been backing up many system objects, so the
cleanup ran very quickly.

I installed the 5.3.0 server, license and TSM device driver from my
distribution media,
and then upgraded the Ultrium device driver. I ended up using the
non-Microsoft
certified drivers (IBMTape.W32_6082) since the driver installation
choked when
I tried using LTOCert.W32_6082 package from the IBM ftp download site. I
then applied
the latest fixpack (5.3.1.4).

Once the server came up, I registered the licenses (note, licensing
is different from v5.1) and was back in business, more or less.

For the record, there's a typo in step 10 of the migrate install
instructions
(p. 12) of the installation guide. You'll find the adsmlicn.dll file in
the 'server' directory, not the 'console' directory as written.

The few temporary snags I ran into were (not necessarily all TSM
problems):

(1) My Emulex HBA's were back-rev'd  so I needed to upgrade these.

(2) The 'pai_module.dll' couldn't be found by dsmsvc.exe when the server
started.
I copied it from the distribution to the 'server' subdirectory manually.

(3) Be sure your TSM Device Driver is enabled for Windows 2000 and
Optical Device Support.
You can check this from the TSM Management Console (TSM Device Driver ->
Service Information; look at the properties of the driver. Be sure it's
running and
is set to startup at boot time). If this is not set up properly, you
won't see some of
your devices.

I'd say it was one of the more straightforward upgrades I've done.
Hope it goes well,

--Ruth Mitchell
  Cornell Theory Center

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.