ADSM-L

Re: Multiple instance of TSM running on the same server with its own binaries?>

2005-08-30 07:45:29
Subject: Re: Multiple instance of TSM running on the same server with its own binaries?>
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:44:46 -0400
One thing to watch our for is that not all of TSM gets installed into
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server directory
structure (on AIX . . . don't know about other os's).   A quick list of the
files in the TSM v5.3
filesets showed bits/pieces installed in /etc and /usr/lib.

Rick

                      William Colwell
                      <bcolwell@DRAPER.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Multiple instance
of TSM running on the same server with its own binaries?>
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/29/2005 12:25
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi Tae,

I install multiple copies of the software for the reasons you listed.
But I am running on Solaris and the needed tweaks to the process aren't
that
hard.
I don't know what is involved with tweaking the install on aix.

I have been doing this for 2+ years and installed versions 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3
Without any complications, plus many interim fixes.

As far as being supported goes, that is not clear;  The relevant text in
the
Quick start manual is -"Do not attempt to install the server executable
files
in more than one directory."  Some may say that means it is unsupported,
but
Since there is no explicit "this is not supported" phrase I think it is
unclear.

In any case, what would be unsupported - the install process or the
execution of the
Servers after successfully installing it this way?

I have called in many problems and this has never been an issue.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.