ADSM-L

Re: Question about Space Reclamation..

2005-08-26 02:27:27
Subject: Re: Question about Space Reclamation..
From: "Maibaum, Volker" <Volker.Maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:26:44 +0200
Hello,

one reason why I updated to version 5.3 was that there is the
possibility to create collocation groups.

I have now packed all small servers (about 20 of them) in one group,
about 10 medium servers in another group and I made groups for large
servers with about 1-3 nodes each. So now no server is spread across
more than 1-4 tapes (except for the really large ones) and the tapes
have a good utilization.

One problem still existing is that for each collocation group (we have 6
of them) there is one tape send to the offsite location each day (we
have collocation=group turned on the copy pool). And as we do offsite
reclamation only on the weekend we have 5*6=30 tapes that are very
little utilized at the end of the week. But I think there is no way
around this.

I'm not sure if this might work, but couldn't you just use the "move
data STGPOOL_NAME"-command to move the data from your 1% utilized
volumes?

regards,

Volker Maibaum
Tel: +49 711 939 0972