ADSM-L

Re: Question about Space Reclamation..

2005-08-25 19:56:25
Subject: Re: Question about Space Reclamation..
From: Roark Ludwig <Roark.Ludwig AT SUNHEALTH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:56:10 -0700
I have been handed a TSM system in the past week that has been running for
a year.  IT has collocation = yes for TAPEPOOL and COPYPOOLS.   this system
is running TSM 5.2.2.

We have run out of tapes as the setting for collocation (yes) is trying to
use a tape for each node (as I understand it, ,,please correct me if I am
wrong)..

We have decided that since we have about  80 volumes with less then 1%
utilized and 20 or so with large utilization %'s to set COLLOCATION=NO for
the TAPEPOOL and COPYPOOLS.

We are expecting to add another set of nodes and don't wish to consume more
of our volumes (with small percent utilization) as we add the nodes.

Question ..

Will this setting COLLOCATION=NO stop the addition of volumes?  (I expect
the answer is YES,, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Now to the second question.

I see no easy way to have Space Reclamation condense the volumes included
in the two pools as it will only process "FULL" volumes. (Again Please jump
in here).

QUESTION:  is it acceptable to set the status from "FILLING" to "FULL" for
the volumes with low percentage utilized to force Space Reclamation ?

OR

is there an easier way to accomplish the GOAL of reducing the number of
volumes needed for the pools?    (given that we have set COLLOCATION=NO)
or should we simply wait out the natural filling of the volumes and allow
normal Space Reclamation as time proceeds?

Has anyone done this in the past?

How have others dealt with this??

Thanks for any input.