ADSM-L

Re: Anyone seen TDP Domino blue screen a Windows2000 server??

2005-08-25 07:45:48
Subject: Re: Anyone seen TDP Domino blue screen a Windows2000 server??
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 03:36:44 -0700
Bill, off-hand the only TSM client component could (hypothetically) cause
of a blue-screen would be the LVSA module, tsmlvsa.sys. When you installed
the backup-archive client, did you configure it to use online image backup
or open file support?

Otherwise I can't think of anything that TSM could do to cause a
blue-screen. Application crash?... yes... but blue screen?... no.

Having said that... was a memory.dmp file captured? If so, I'd recommend
using the Windows debugger to analyze it as the first step. Usually
memory.dmp is located in %SystemRoot% (C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS). The latest
version of the debugger can be obtained from Microsoft at:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

download the debugging tools from the above address and install them. The
default install location is "c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for
Windows". Add the directory where the debugging tools were installed to
your PATH environment variable, then run the console debugger as follows
from an OS prompt:

set
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH=srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;%SystemRoot%\system32

cdb -z c:\winnt\memory.dmp -c "!analyze -v;v"

(This assumes that the memory.dmp file is located in c:\winnt.)

The "set" command will tell the debugger where it can find Windows symbol
files.

The console debugger output should indicate (among other things) the
module that caused the kernel exception. Then follow up with the owner of
that module for additional analysis.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-08-24
17:55:00: