ADSM-L

Re: DB Query

2005-08-24 14:08:39
Subject: Re: DB Query
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:08:18 -0500
Debbie,

If you have thousands of volumes I can see that this is going to create
a (or multiple) very large temporary table space which of course is
going to consume all remaining space in the TSM DB.  The reason this is
happening is that you are comparing two different tables, i.e. volumes
and volumeusage.  I have found for large select statements like you are
trying that it is much easier to pull the two table onto another system
using the ODBC and do your processing on the other system out side of
the TSM DB.

On another note, you might want to consider adding "a.nodename" to the
output fields.  When I first ran it as you had it I have several nodes
with the same filespace name so I needed to add the nodename to be able
to tell them apart.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Debbie Bassler wrote:

I'm having a problem executing a query. Here is the query I'm executing as
the root user on the TSM server machine:

dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=**** -commadelimited "select a.volume_name,
a.filespace_n
ame, b.access from volumeusage a, volumes b where
a.volume_name=b.volume_name or
der by b.access, a.volume_name"  >> audit_info_050824.out

The Admin Guide said to make sure there is at least 4M of temporary space
by looking at the Maximum Reduction file after issuing the "q db" command.
Here is the result of that query:

Available Assigned   Maximum   Maximum    Page     Total      Used   Pct
Max.
   Space Capacity Extension Reduction    Size    Usable     Pages  Util
Pct
    (MB)     (MB)      (MB)      (MB) (bytes)     Pages Util
--------- -------- --------- --------- ------- --------- --------- -----
-----
  59,692   59,692         0     6,372   4,096 15,281,15 8,011,456  52.4
52.4
                                                      2

Once I start my query, the Maximum Reduction field immediately goes to
"0".  Does anyone else execute queries like this?

I'm trying to get some information for auditors which includes a list of
onsite and offsite tapes, as well as their contents. Any advice or
suggestions would be appreciated.

Our TSM server level is 5.1

Thanks,
Debbie