ADSM-L

How to get mt driver on Solaris to recognize STK 9940B

2005-08-23 21:39:37
Subject: How to get mt driver on Solaris to recognize STK 9940B
From: Lance Nakata <LNakata AT SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:39:23 -0700
I'm having a problem getting the TSM mt driver to recognize an STK
9940B tape drive.  Setup:

Sun V880 UltraSPARC server
Solaris 9 8/03 release
TSM 5.1.5.4

The 9940B is directly attached via a dual-port 2gb fibre-channel
card.  A Sun T3 disk array is connected to the other port.  The card
is not I/O stressed at all.

There are also 9 DLT7000 tape drives connected to this host via SCSI
cards.  Those drives have been successfully using the TSM mt driver
for about 2 years.  The 9940B is a test case; we plan to add more
drives later (and migrate to a more current TSM version) if this
test is successful.

I put this in /usr/kernel/drv/mt.conf:
# Fibre Channel entries for mt.conf
name="mt" parent="fp" target=0 lun=0 fc-port-wwn=500104f0007cce4d;

500104f0007cce4d is the WWN for the 9940B.  I took this syntax from
the TSM 5.3 mt.conf file.  I left out the 'name="mt" parent="pseudo"
instance=16383;' since this is only a 5.1.5.4 server (plus it panics
the devfsadm command).

When I did a reconfiguration reboot, the 9940B is recognized by the
standard st driver.  No matter what I did, it always was defined as
an st driver device.  I finally renamed the st drivers to get them
out of the way, but subsequent reconfiguration reboots do not get
the 9940B recognized by the mt driver.

So what is the magical incantation that makes this all work?  I'd
use the st driver, but figure there's some good reason why TSM wants
me to use the mt driver in its place.

Thanks,
Lance