ADSM-L

Re: HELP!!!! Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!

2005-08-17 10:00:01
Subject: Re: HELP!!!! Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:20:00 +0100
Joni,
Looks like you were unlucky and got hit by some extra large backups, which
filled up your disk pool faster than it could be emptied
I assume this is what caused a lot of backups to be delayed, by  media
wair.
In truth it does sound as if you need  more or faster tape drives.
That aside what I do in a tape constrained environment is to run overnight
with a diskpool high migration set at 40% and a lo of 20%
You may want to experiment with these values.
I also run concurrent to that hourly triggered backups of the disk storage
pool to a tape copy pool
In effect I use 3 drives overnight .
It does mean that I am doing tape to tape pool copies during the day but I
have more drives available then.
This in not perfect but it works for me
John

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
17/08/2005 12:40
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
HELP!!!!  Migrations taking too long and pools filling up!

Hello Everyone!

Due to our tape drive shortage I have added a tremendous amount of disk to
hold the data for 24 hours.  It appears as if now it is taking a very long
time for the disk pools to migrate to tape and processes are still backing
up and causing contention with backups of the client data sometimes of up
to 10 hours.  How can I resolve this issue so that the clients receive a
quick backup and do not have I/O contention?  I thought that adding more
disk would help because the landing spot for the data is now a larger disk
pool that can house all of the data, but it seems like it's hitting it's
70% full mark and when I came in this morning the disk pool was up to 95%
full, there are many clients that are waiting to write their backups and
everything is locked up.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  I don't
know what to do for this environment any longer and I am not allowed to
buy
tape drives.  Thank you in advance!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this e-mail by anyone else
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any unauthorised recipient should advise
the sender immediately of the error in transmission. Unless specifically stated
otherwise, this email (or any attachments to it) is not an offer capable of
acceptance or acceptance of an offer and it does not form part of a binding
contractual agreement.
Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC, Atlantic Electric and Gas,
S+S and SSE Power Distribution are trading names of the Scottish and Southern
Energy Group.