ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3 on new server

2005-08-08 17:36:21
Subject: Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3 on new server
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:30:25 -0600
There's several ways you could do this migration, but the way I would do it
is:

1. upgrade the old server to TSM 5.3, after backing up the DB of course.  I
wouldn't bother putting the ISC on the old box at this time, it's not needed
to get TSM up to 5.3.  Note - The last upgrade of TSM from 5.1 to 5.3 on AIX
I performed took upwards of 8 hours for a 40GB database - lots of database
changes that it needs to deal with between 5.1 and 5.3.

2. Export the database

3. install 5.3 (and the ISC) on the new server and import the database.
You could do a DB backup/restore, but the export/import will give you a
nicer, cleaner, friendlier database at the end of the day.

You could move to the new server on 5.1 and *then* upgrade TSM to 5.3
afterwards, but then you have the whole ugliness of unistalling/installing
new code, etc.   Personally, I like doing it as clean on the new server as
possible....

later,

Paul