ADSM-L

Problem backing up files and directories with international characters on Novell server

2005-07-29 16:06:13
Subject: Problem backing up files and directories with international characters on Novell server
From: Etienne Brodeur <ebrodeur AT SERTI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:05:44 -0400
Hello All,

        I have a TSM server running 5.2.3.3 on Windows 2000 and clients
5.2.2.3 on NetWare 6.1.  All my Windows filespaces are unicode and backup
characters with accents (french ones in this case) with no problems.  But
all NetWare filespaces are non-unicode and all files with french
characters don't get backed up ending in errors:

ANS1228E Sending of object 'xxx:' failed
ANS4005E Error processing 'xxx': file not found

Now, I found a technote (#1171487) that states that for Windows nodes you
have to update the node to auto-use unicode filespaces which will fix the
problems but cause the next backup to create new filespaces and thus a
full backup.

I have looked to see if such a solution will work for a NetWare node and
it seems not, since I read that only Windows, Mac and Linux support
unicode filespaces...  Is this true and if so, what do I do to backup
NetWare file servers with international characters in the directories and
filenames ?

Thanks for your help,

Etienne Brodeur