ADSM-L

Script for Data Center Move

2005-07-27 12:22:13
Subject: Script for Data Center Move
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:21:50 -0400
Hello All,

Our site is in the process of moving to a new datacenter.  The plan is to
begin backups at 5PM and then as the servers are finished with their
backups we will shut down the server and move them to the new site.  I am
trying to figure out the best/easiest way to keep track of the finished
backups as they occur and the success of the backup as well.  I wanted to
run a query every 15 min. to get  a list of the completed backups or if
there is a better known method I would appreciate it!  I do know that at
some point our email server will be brought down and backups for other
servers may still be running, so if there is a way to run the script output
it to a file every 15 min. and then overwrite the old file each time.  At
that point email the file (if the email server is still up) or just
manually go to the file for inspection.

I am very open to ideas/suggestions on how to keep track of successful
backups.  Also, is there a way to tell if a server is going to "miss" it's
backups or should I just decrease the duration to 15 and the duration units
to minutes?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on this matter!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603