ADSM-L

Re: Windows server imaging

2005-07-21 18:32:49
Subject: Re: Windows server imaging
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:32:38 -0700
Opps, below I said "you can" get disimilar hardware to work with ASR.  I meant
you can't.

Sorry.

TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:
1) You can use TSM to run an online image backup. Then TSM and WinPE to create
an offline image restore.

2) You can use ASR.

3) You can simply use the Install OS, Install Client, Restore system state,
then restore OS drive.

You can get ASR to work with dissimilar hardware but you can run through an
In-Place upgrade after the image restore or after the regular restore. It is a
seperate mini install that you run after the restore from the MS installation
media. Basically it re-enumarates the hardware but leaves all the software
intact so your not prompted for server name, key and stuff like that the second
time around. I've used this method to go from old MCP motherboards to new ACPI.
I've went from single processor machines to dual. From one raid controller to
another. It all works.

I have nothing against Cristie. I'll just say that when you go through the
process using the In-Place upgrade it is hard to justify the cost per server to
save a few hours. If Cristie was $25 US per server then I'd recommend you get
it for every server in your shop. But I belive the cost is many $100's which I
can't justify when the manual process works so well and only hads 5 minutes of
work time and about 1.5 hours to the restore.

Kyle

"Prather, Wanda" wrote:
My 2 cents:

TSM recovery with Windows ASR (WIn2K3 and XP only, not Win2K) is
terrific, because
1) you don't have to create images ahead of time
2) TSM saves the data you need every time it runs a backup
3) it is not impacted by hardware changes
4) it doesn't cost anything
5) it doesn't' require additional software to be installed on
the client

BUT, if you are planning to use it in an offsite DR situation,
you have the problem that Microsoft doesn't
restoring the System Object from one machine to another.
Full instructions for use are in the TSM client manual.

Christie BMR may be better depending on your circumstances
1) you have to walk through a process of saving the system
config to TSM or a floppy BEFORE you need it
2) it's another piece of software to be licensed, installed and
configured on all your clients
3) extra cost

BUT, it's the onlye thing I know of that SUPPORTS a bare-metal
restore from one Windows machine to the other.
Could vastly simplify your offsite recovery at a DR site.