ADSM-L

Re: Long term data retention for retired clients

2005-07-14 06:00:06
Subject: Re: Long term data retention for retired clients
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:59:44 +0100
Further to my query, I have not mentioned archive as this is not a
function that we regularly use, but would this be a good candidate for
retiring clients,
and can you archive a whole drive  ie   D:
thanks,
John

John Naylor/HAV/SSE
14/07/2005 10:27

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
cc

Subject
Long term data retention for retired clients

Hi out there,
Just wondering what the consensus is on the best way to retain TSM client
data that has to be kept for many years (legal requirement) after the
client box is retired.
I have consideredf various approaches
1) Export
2) Backup set
3) Create a new domain for retired clients which have the long term
retention requirement

I see export and backup sets as reducing database overhead, but being less
easy to track and rather unfriendly if you just need to get a subset of
the data back
The new domain would retain great visibilty for the data and allow easy
access to subsets of the data, but you would stiil have the database
overhead.
Does the choice just depend, on how often in reality you will need to get
the  data back ?
Thoughts appreciated
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by anyone else
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any unauthorised recipient should advise
the sender immediately of the error in transmission. Unless specifically stated
otherwise, this email (or any attachments to it) is not an offer capable of
acceptance or acceptance of an offer and it does not form part of a binding
contractual agreement.
Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC, S+S and SSE Power
Distribution are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.