ADSM-L

Re: ASR without floppy drive

2005-07-13 11:32:45
Subject: Re: ASR without floppy drive
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:32:27 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Thomas Denier
>We are evaluating ASR as a bare metal recovery tool for Windows.
>Most of our installed Intel servers have floppy drives, but we
>were not expecting to order future Intel servers with floppy
>drives. The last time we did a disaster recovery test, we got
>Intel systems with floppy drives from SunGard, but I don't think
>our contract guarantees floppy drives in the future.
>
>Is is possible to use a USB key or a writable CD as a substitute
>for the floppy disk mentioned in the ASR documentation?

That would probably be a question better asked to Microsoft support. The
ASR procedures are dictated by what the Windows installation process
expects. When you go through the Windows installation process, and you
press the F2 key to make use of ASR, the process expects to use a
floppy.

There might be an installation answer file option that will give you
what you want (although the documentation points at no such thing), or
(as has already been suggested) use a USB-type portable floppy drive.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627