ADSM-L

Domino backup performance

2005-07-13 11:15:48
Subject: Domino backup performance
From: Matthew Large <Matthew.Large AT AVIVA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:16:37 +0100
Hi all,

Windows 2000
TSM server 5.2.1
clients 5.1 -> 5.2
Domino 6.0.3 soon to be 6.5.4

I'm in a bit of quandry, and I would like another angle on it.

The best performance I can squeeze out of our Domino backups is 10MB/s,
where normal backups over the same network reach 40 MB/s.  A quarter of
the speed of normal backups! That's pretty terrible..

We have 2 domino servers which backup their txnlogs every 3 hours during
the week. Every weekend on Saturday at 20:00 we run full DB backups of
both machines. When the backup starts there is usually only one drive (of
the three) available, and since we don't have collocation on in the
receiving pool, both sessions take hold of the one tape and take turns to
write data to it.

In all my years of working with TSM, I've never seen it do this
before..but that's besides the point.

Later on during the Domino backup, the other drives become free, and I'm
pretty sure I saw a session leave the drive-being-shared-by-two-sessions
and take it's own.
Is anyone able to explain the process TSM goes through when it's deciding
what to do in this kind of situation?

At any rate, my backup speed of one-quarter the maximum possible speed, is
not good and I would like to hear some suggestions about how I can go
about reducing the time it takes to backup our 900GB Domino Servers -
approx 13 hours.
I've been through the 'backup to disk then migrate off to next-pool'
motions, but am unable to acquire the disk I'd need. Soon we will have
another drive to play with, so I will turn on collocation in the primary
Domino tape pool and expect each session to take a drive.

BUT, will this make any difference at all?

I'm beginning to think that it's the actual size of the databases and
txnlogs which is bottlenecking our performance - is the LTO2 drive going
to be having a hard time stopping at the end of each txnlog/maildb and
starting again for the next one? I'm not totally au fait with the ins and
outs of the LTO mechanism,

Thank for your suggestions, in advance.

Regards,
Matthew

Aviva plc
Registered Office: St. Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ
Registered in England Number 02468686
www.aviva.com

This message and any attachments are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone
or e-mail the sender and delete this message and any
attachment from your system. Also, if you are not the
intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.