ADSM-L

Re: Client for Win 64 bits, Xeon CPU ?

2005-07-12 09:24:53
Subject: Re: Client for Win 64 bits, Xeon CPU ?
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:23:55 -0500
Are you SURE that everything involved here is 64-bit?  Regular Windows2003
server isn't 64-bit, and neither are most XeonMP's.  The Xeon would have to be
a very particular model that supports EMT64, and Windows2003 would have to
explicitly say that it's the 64-bit edition.  Another problem would be if
you've got Windows2003 32-bit, running on a xeon that actually is 64-bit
capable.  This will work since the cpu is backwards-compatible, but would stop
you from installing any 64-bit software.

>>> Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM 7/12/2005 2:04:21 AM >>>
Hi all,

I'm facing a problem with a brand new Windows server, where I can't
manage it installing any TSM client : the machine has a Xeon MP
processor and was installed with Win 2003 server edition.
Trying to install the latest 64 bit client found on
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com returns an error message specifying that
the processor is from a wrong type, and standard 32 bit client (5.2.4)
also refuses to install, complaining that the OS is not supported ...
Anyone having some information, or a link to a client that I could use ?
Many thanks in advance !
Cheers.

Arnaud

******
Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland, CIT Department
Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone:  +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com
******

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.