ADSM-L

AIX devices under recovery scenario

2005-07-08 10:30:53
Subject: AIX devices under recovery scenario
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:30:11 -0400
> TSM 5.1.10.0 (TSM 5.3 soon) on AIX 5.2 ML-3 (AIX 5.3 soon)
>
> I'm writing the procedure for our updated DR process, and I have one key
> question regarding AIX device definitions.
>
> We have three tape libraries:  two host our primary pools and one hosts
> our unified copypool.  With rmt0 as the server's internal drive, the AIX
> device definitions run like this:
>
> Primary #1:  rmt1-4
> Primary #2:  rmt5-8
> Copy: rmt9-12  -and- mt2-5
>
> Under a DR scenario, we would have "a" library drop-shipped to our DR
> site.  We would restore the TSM database from a replicated SAN LUN so that
> doesn't require any tape resources.  Now we have to add the drop-shipped
> library to the recovery server.
>
> Since we restored the DB from our production system, it expects to find
> the same libraries and associated AIX devices in the PATH definitions. But
> those devices are no longer valid.  Furthermore, once I  connect the
> drop-shipped library to the recovery server and run cfgmgr, I end up with
> AIX devices at rmt1-rmt4.  Those AIX devices are referenced by the
> definition for Primary #1.  Also, since it will not be an IBM library -
> probably - when I create the lb/mt devices they won't match the ones
> associated with our production copypool.
>
> I know I can "chainsaw" my way through the TSM device and path definitions
> to fix this situation.  But what is the BEST PRACTICE for fixing all this?
>
> Please remember that at some point, the disaster will end and we will want
> to shift back to our production system at our normal company site.  We
> don't want to orphan any new data that was backed up while in DR mode.

We had to deal with a somewhat similar problem during our last DR test
for out mainframe Linux TSM server. We have a 3494 at our production
site and ended up with manually loaded drives at the recovery site.

We handled this as follows:
1.Take drives and paths for the production site library offline.
2.Define a new library.
3.Define drives in the new library.
4.Define paths for the drives.
5.Update tape device classes to use the new library.

You would also need to define a path to the library. I think this would
be done just after our step 2.