ADSM-L

SV: LTO2 is unconfident

2005-07-05 04:16:19
Subject: SV: LTO2 is unconfident
From: Granhagen Anders <Anders.Granhagen AT ATEA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:16:07 +0200
Read/Write errors happens to all tape technologies, in my experience less
frequently on LTO than many others. If you experience a lot of errors on your
tapes, fist make sure that you clean your tape drives frequently, then see if
you can relate the errors to any specific tape drive. If you can, and you
continue to see problems, contact your vendor for support.

The capacity of your tapes are related to your compression-rate. Since all data
is not the same, you'll see different rates for different kinds of data. For
instance, you might see very high compression rates for some databases, and
low/none compression rates for already compressed data like jpeg-images, mpeg
movies, zip/rar/lz compressed files etc.

Regards,
Anders Granhagen
Atea System Platforms