ADSM-L

SANergy - Anyone using it?

2005-06-30 14:18:03
Subject: SANergy - Anyone using it?
From: "Murphy, Christopher" <cmurphy AT IDA DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:17:38 -0400
Hello all,

We are currently evaluating TSM for use in our environment (expected
version to be 5.3.x on Linux or Solaris) against Veritas NetBackup.
Backup via the SAN (i.e. LAN-Free) is crucial to us.  Backing up
directly to disk (via SAN) is also a high priority.  I know to make this
happen in TSM we must use SANergy.  I know in the past this product had
a mixed reception.  I was hoping I might hear from some organizations
who have used/are using it now for disk-based, SAN-pathed backups.  Is
SANergy reliable/stable, especially when processing hundreds of GB's
nightly?  I searched the ADSM.ORG archives, but found little discussion
of SANergy that was less than years old.  Also, the Redbook for it is 4+
years old as well.  The IBM web site also seems to be reluctant to offer
information on SANergy.  I get the feeling it is going away... perhaps
because of IBM's SAN FS?  Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanx!

Chris Murphy
Network Systems Analyst
Institute for Defense Analyses
HTTP://WWW.IDA.ORG