ADSM-L

ASR/BMR and Encrypted discs

2005-06-29 05:16:35
Subject: ASR/BMR and Encrypted discs
From: Matthew Large <Matthew.Large AT AVIVA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:17:27 +0100
Hi,

The powers that be have asked me to look into the quick recovery of
laptops which use a product called SafeGuard Easy by Utimaco to encrypt
the hard disk.
Since they are all XP, ASR seems the obvious choice to restore the OS,
hand-in-hand with Christies BMR to restore the rest.

I'm fine with the latter part of the solution, but I've no idea what kind
of impact this SafeGuard Easy product will have on TSM. From what I
understand, very high-level view, SafeGuardEasy encrypts the data on the
disk according to the users password, so if the laptop's stolen and the
hard drive ripped out, the data is useless as you need the user's password
to decrypt the data.

I would not expect there to be a problem with backup, but restore could be
an issue as I don't think TSM will be writing through the encryption
algorhithm to the disk - it will just write the data to the disk as it's
received from the server.

Does anyone know what kind of behaviour I can expect from this
environment? I will hopefully be able to test this soon, but I could be
wasting my time.

Many Thanks,
Matthew

Aviva plc
Registered Office: St. Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ
Registered in England Number 02468686
www.aviva.com

This message and any attachments are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone
or e-mail the sender and delete this message and any
attachment from your system. Also, if you are not the
intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.