ADSM-L

Re: TSM Licensing

2005-06-23 09:05:10
Subject: Re: TSM Licensing
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:04:56 -0400
> I'm going to vent for a minute about the CPU licensing thing. IBM
> doesn't make it easy to validate because a true CPU count is never
> reported by the client.
>
> Case in point, we have two 8 way Linux DB2 servers that we only backup
> via the API. We have 16 CPU licenses just for those boxes because IBM
> told us we had to have them. We added the licenses to TSM and still each
> of those nodes only take 1 CPU license.

This sounds like a pre 5.3 server, and if so, that count (q lic) is a
client count, not a CPU count on the clients.  In 5.3, it no longer even
tracks clients, so now I have to keep manual records, and/or issue q node
commands and count to see if I need more licneses....

tsm 5.3 q lic:
tsm: TSM1>q lic

                                     Last License Audit: 06/19/05 17:16:14
  Is Tivoli Storage Manager for Data Retention in use ?: No
Is Tivoli Storage Manager for Data Retention licensed ?: No
         Is Tivoli Storage Manager Basic Edition in use: Yes
       Is Tivoli Storage Manager Basic Edition licensed: Yes
      Is Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition in use: No
    Is Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition licensed: Yes
                              Server License Compliance: Valid

> William Jean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's time to true up licenses with IBM again, does anyone have an automated
> > process for gathering client CPU information that they would be willing to
> > share?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

Steve Roder
University at Buffalo
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)