ADSM-L

Re: Question

2005-06-22 08:38:38
Subject: Re: Question
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:38:20 -0400
Hi Robert,

As you know, when performing a differential backup, you are
capturing all of the changes since the last full backup by
backing up all of the transaction logs that have been created
since the last full backup. One of the main things you need be aware
of is that with a full + differential strategy, after restoring
the database and log files, you need to account for the time that
it will take for the Exchange Server to replay the transactions
for each transaction log that was restored (and any additional
ones on the log disk, if you choose). You also need to realize
with full + differential strategy, the transaction logs will grow
each day by the amount of changed data you create. This means
that you need to make sure you have enough space on your log device
to hold those transactions until your next full backup is run
(since the full backup will also clear the log space.)

An alternative to this approach is the full + incremental strategy.
With the full + incremental strategy, after the transaction logs
are backed up to TSM, they are removed from the log device to
free up space for the next set of logs files.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/22/2005
04:45:06 AM: