ADSM-L

Re: Using DISKPART to mount drive in directories on Wintel

2005-06-21 10:38:04
Subject: Re: Using DISKPART to mount drive in directories on Wintel
From: Matthew Large <Matthew.Large AT AVIVA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:31:31 +0100
I think I may have been misunderstood.. not the first time

Thanks though Mark. The whole point of this operation is to keep the files
in 'what appears to be' the same place.

>F:\dirA\dirAA
>         \dirAB  <- this directory is to be moved to another disk

The directory \dirAB\ logically will not move anywhere, just the data will
have moved to another disk, but all those files will have exactly the same
file-path.
Like you say, if a files PATH has changed then it needs to back it up
again - I appreciate that. Though nothing will have changed.

I should have mentioned before that we will be performing both Image and
normal incrementals on this file system, and although I would not expect
the incremental to have a problem traversing the file system, I'm not sure
about the image backup - is it able to traverse mount points?

I had better RTFM for the last question.

Any answers greatly appreciated.

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
21/06/2005 15:19
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Using DISKPART to mount drive in directories on Wintel

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Matthew Large
>Our fileserver is accessed by one drive letter, F. There is a
>wish to move
>one of the directories to another disk, but keep it mounted in the same
>place in the directory structure.
>
>F:\dirA\dirAA
>         \dirAB  <- this directory is to be moved to another disk
>
>They will use DISKPART to perform the mount of the drive in the \dirA\
>directory with the same name
>
>the command will look something like this:
>
>DISKPART> assign letter=G mount=F:\dirA\dirAB
>
>My question is this: How will TSM deal with the changed directory? It's
>capacity will have increased so the filespace will need
>updating, but how
>will it affect the daily incremental? We've been informed that TSM will
>want to run a fully-qualified incremental and will want to allocate the
>necessary filespace on the server.
>
>Has anyone performed this kind action before and if so, can
>you confirm or
>deny the 'necessary full-qualified incremental' and 'allocated
>filespace for the mounted drive presented as a directory'

If you change anything about the name of a file (as in your example,
moving f:\data\file\foobar.txt to g:\data\foobar.txt), you will force a
backup of every file affected, and there will be a new filespace
created, with all of the database pointers involved in that. (After all,
you've changed its location.)

The nice thing is that the old locations of all these affected files
will eventually expire away, because the old file locations don't exist
anymore.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627

Aviva plc
Registered Office: St. Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ
Registered in England Number 02468686
www.aviva.com

This message and any attachments are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone
or e-mail the sender and delete this message and any
attachment from your system. Also, if you are not the
intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.