ADSM-L

Limit on GUI under a restore?

2005-06-14 10:43:17
Subject: Limit on GUI under a restore?
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:43:02 +0000
TSM client 5.3.0.8 on Windows200 server. TSM Server 5.2.2.0 on Windows2000.

This is a very large server with 15+million files. They lost this drive and are
trying to restore one top-level directory, but the incremental was not able to
complete. They were displaying in the GUI the directory and it was (finally)
completing the display, but not showing the files they were looking for. I then
did a command line restore of that directory and files are being restored that
they want, but did not show in the GUI. They have told management that the data
is lost and needs to be re-created, but some of it is being restored.

Is there a limit to the number of entries the GUI is able to display? The
initial display took 1.5 hours before it showed anything. Just the
Displaying..... message at the botton with the number going up. Somewhere
around 79,000 it stopped, but didn't show everything that was available to
restore. I was able to restore almost 400,000 objects over night that were not
in the GUI display.

Bill Boyer
DSS,Inc.