ADSM-L

Re: LTO2 unreliability

2005-06-14 09:09:02
Subject: Re: LTO2 unreliability
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:07:34 -0400
Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this topic.

Due to personal experience, I can not agree with the concensus. Especially
since I lost another drive, last night.

Per the recommendations from here, I was upgrading the firmware in the
library (5.22 to 6.03).  When the library rebooted, it wouldn't start up.
I power-recycled the library (per the SAC code) and the main connector
drive stayed red (heavy sigh). I swapped the drive with one in my new 3583
library w/4-drives, and everything returned to normal, with the dead drive
staying dead in the new library.

Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
06/09/2005 09:51 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] LTO2 unreliability

I had a client once that was experiencing high enough errors with their
tapes and drives (3494-3590E drives) that Imation actually asked to take a
few tapes for testing.   They came back saying that the tapes had high
amounts of a black powder on the tape that appeared to be printer toner.
Upon looking at the computer floor again, it turns out there was a laser
printer in the room that happened to be sitting partially over a
perforated
floor tile and was gettng blown on constantly by the AC.   Printer was
moved
to another location, and errors were largely eliminated.

I'd take another good look around the room to make sure there's nothing
else
that could be causing environmental contamination....

regards,

Paul