ADSM-L

Re: Keeping files in diskpools

2005-06-10 15:20:22
Subject: Re: Keeping files in diskpools
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:19:57 -0400
Not sure if this what you can use.. in TSM for stgpool there is an option
called Migration Delay.  Basically it allow you to control how long the
data to remain in the storage pool before data migrates.  I am thinking
this could save you some time during "meltdown."

It's in the Admin manual Chapter 9. Managing Storage Pools and Volumes if
you would like to look up.

Migration Delay (primary storage pools only)
     The minimum number of days that a file must remain in a storage pool
     before the server can migrate the file to the next storage pool. For a
     disk storage pool, the days are counted from the time that the file
was
     stored in the storage pool or last retrieved by a client. For a
     sequential access storage pool, the days are counted from the time
that
     the file was stored in the storage pool.

Thanks,

Sung Y. Lee

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/08/2005
06:59:03 PM:

> All,
>
> First time poster, fairly new to the whole thing, so help much
appreciated.

> We've got a TSM server on which we've just upgraded the disk array, from
1TB
> to 2TB. It also has a Spectralogic Treefrog unit with two AIT2 drives and
> 15-slot robot.
>
> We're looking to keep the current generation of files from our main file
> server in the diskpools, so that we (in the event of a meltdown of the
> fileserver) won't have to resort to tape. The amount of storage on the
file
> server is roughly 1TB - the other servers are only a small fraction of
that.

> We've kept the old diskpools, and created new ones to catch new data.
>
> The file server currently has its storage divided into two partitions.
I'm