ADSM-L

Windows and device addressing for TSM (Make it stop!!!)

2005-06-10 15:10:31
Subject: Windows and device addressing for TSM (Make it stop!!!)
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:10:15 -0400
Could use some help from any Windows gurus out there:
HOW do I keep Windows from changing the addresses of the TSM devices?

This server is Win2K3 (but the same thing has occurred on Win2K), TSM is
5.2.2.5.

There are fibre connections from 2 HBA's to 2 different SAN switches.
1 Fibre cable from each SAN switch to 1 LTO drive in a 3583 (that way if we
lose a switch, we can still access at least 1 drive).

Yesterday in order to clean up a big tangle of fibre cables, the Windows admin
disconnected 1 fibre cable from the HBA, untangled things and plugged the cable
back into the HBA, EXACTLY the same connection.  Repeat for the other cable.

Windows RENUMBERED the library and tape drives  (For example, mt2.0.0.2 became
mt1.0.0.2).
I saw the same thing once after a power outage, when the server came up before
the switch was powered up.

Now, I know that to get TSM working again, all I have to do is install the LTO
drivers for these "new" devices, and update the TSM path for each device.

But I would really like to understand WHY this happens, and how we can avoid
it.  I would like to go on vacation one day, without worrying that this should
happen while I'm gone!

Any insight appreciated!

Wanda Prather
"* I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O *"  -(me)