ADSM-L

Re: TSM Macintosh client "...out of memory"

2005-06-06 00:20:22
Subject: Re: TSM Macintosh client "...out of memory"
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:20:02 -0700
Hi John,

Below is the Mac client developer's response to your follow-on questions.

Regards,

Andy

John,
An administrator on Mac OS X is really just a normal user.  They do not
have real root authority, but can do root authority tasks by entering the
admin password when prompted.

The purpose of 'TSM Backup for Administrators' is to run the TSM Backup
GUI as a root process so TSM has full access to everything.

You can get the same authority for the command line interface by using the
'sudo' command.  For example:

sudo ./dsmc incr

Will run dsmc as root so you should not have access issues.

As for the issues with the disk upgrade, there is no way of knowing,
without more information, if the two are related.  If you encounter
problems similar to this, please contact IBM support for assistance.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.