ADSM-L

Re: TSM Macintosh client "...out of memory"

2005-06-03 13:10:43
Subject: Re: TSM Macintosh client "...out of memory"
From: John Bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:10:10 -0600
Andy,

Thank you very much for this lead.  I checked the APAR and indeed running
as root fixes the out of memory condition (caused by inadequate access
privileges).  However, I don't think any of our Mac OS X users run as root,
rather as administrators or general users.

A couple of months ago we saw a problem where the TSM backup for
Administrators could not read the Macintosh HD and perform a backup.  We
would see backup completion statistics like 31 objects inspected, 0 objects
backed up (on a system with 10's of thousands of user files).

When we first encountered this problem, the Mac client had recently
replaced their hard drive.  The backups from GUI always failed when writing
to the "old" filespace (Macintosh HD), which happened to be the volume name
of the new.  We tried re-naming the old Macintosh HD filespace, and the GUI
for Administrators backup would then succeed when backing up to the new TSM
filespace.

I confess I do not remember seeing any ANS1030E messages associated with
the above situation.

Do you know if there is any connection between the two?

So I have tried the same "fix" here in the "out of memory" condition, and
yes, the TSM Backup for Administrators backup succeeds in backing up to a
new filespace.  However, running as an administrator, ./dsmc incr fails
with "out of memory" after inspecting only a few objects.  These results
are confusing to me.

Thanks again for your response(s)

John