ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Linux

2005-06-03 11:34:06
Subject: Re: TSM on Linux
From: Jason Lee <english AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:34:08 -0700
Hi,

If you're going to be moving a lot of data, make sure you are on
ES3... 2.1 has issues with VM, it won't release cache memory fast
enough, and you'll kill the box. This is fixed in the ES3 kernels.
Other than that I would stay away from TSM 5.3 for a while. I just
upgraded and I'm lucky to have the upgraded server last through the
night where 5.2.X was rock solid..... of course you can't go back -
D'oh.

We're also using a 3494 and 3590/3592s, fibre attached. No problem
there other than a little fun with Qlogic/Brocade not playing nice
unless you are using the 7.X.X Qlogic driver.

Basically, if you get the mix right, you'll be golden. We troll
through about 150TB  and put about 1TB on tape a night without too
much trouble (or at least we used to).

Jason